Student services and counselling department offer a variety of information and support regarding post-secondary, career, educational and personal matters. At MCHS, we have an open-door policy where students can access counselling on an as-need basis. Teachers and parents can also refer students and appointments can be booked in advance. Support is provided for individual and family concerns and referrals to outside agencies can be accessed through the school counsellor. Please contact Laurie McCurdy at 780-939-6891 or email@example.com
- Homework Hotline: SchoolWAX.com an all-in-one homework help site, and SchoolWAXTV.com an online video sharing site designed for school use. Both sites contain only educator-approved content and do not have third-party advertising.
- Tutoring Services: Check outhttp://www.su.ualberta.ca/services/infolink/tutor/registry/ Feel free to ask for credentials (degrees) and references.
- Practice Exams: Check out http://www.exambank.com Ask in Student Services for the username and password.
- Exam stress: Check out https://myhealth.alberta.ca/HealthTopics/youth-addiction-mental-health/Documents/stressed-about-exams.pdfYou’ll find practical and helpful tips to get you through the rigors of high school exams. Additional information is available on Student News.
- Sylvan Learning Centre http://sylvanlearning.com 26 St. Anne Street, St. Albert Ph: 780-460-8528 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grade 9 and 12 practice exams https://questaplus.alberta.ca
Personal and Mental Health Support:
- http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/ - Access information regarding substance use, self-harm, or other mental health concerns through this site. Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission (AADAC), now part of Alberta Health Services, provides excellent information about resources, prevention and treatment of drug and alcohol abuse.
- AlbertaQuits.ca - Quit Smoking: AlbertaQuits Services include helpline, online and group counselling services designed to support all Albertans who have a desire to quit smoking.
- http://www.cmha.ca/ - Canadian Mental Health Association offers this site to raise awareness of mental health problems that can affect teen lives and to provide practical tools and suggestions to support high school students.
- www.the-family-centre.com - The Family Centre offers a wide range of programs and services to individuals and families including counselling for individuals, couples, families and groups.
- www.stalbertfcss.ca - Family School Liaison Program (FCSS) is a family centred resource that provides support, counselling and liaison services to individuals and families whose children may be experiencing difficulties either at home or at school.
- www.stopabuse.ca - St.Albert SAIF (Stop Abuse In Families) Society provides education, support and advocacy in the prevention of all forms of violence in relationships.
- www.sace.ab.ca - Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton is a non-profit organization that provides crisis intervention, public education and one-on-one counselling.
- www.ok2bblue.com - Mental Health site for Youth Seeking Support.
- http://wellnessnetworkedmonton.com/wellness-dimensions - Supports for health and wellness
- www.keephimhere.ca - Suicide prevention and intervention information.
- http://talkingcanhelp.ca/ - Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
- http://www.riversedgecounselling.com/ - FREE monthly Wellness talks. Click on EVENTS - Wellness Matters Talks
- http://www.video-game-addiction.org/ - Video Game addiction: below are links for an edition of The Fifth Estate related to Video Game Addiction and on Addiction to "Second Life" style computer activities. Please note, these are general journalism programs, and not evidence based by any means, but they can both be enlightening to watch and to understand the possible scope of the problem.
- https://www.cybertip.ca/ - This site is Canada’s tipline for reporting online sexual exploitation of children. It also provides parents with reliable information about protecting children and families on the Internet.
- http://www.parentfurther.com/content/about-parentfurther - This site provides helpful tips to building assets with your children as well as, everyday parenting ideas from building strong families to parenting through crises.
- http://www.search-institute.org/content/40-developmental-assets-adolescents-ages-12-18 - This wonderful site lists the 40 developmental assets for adolescents and provides examples of ways to 'take action' in supporting our teens.
- http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/6320.asp - What you want to know now: PMMA, Ecstasy, and other Street Drugs? Recent deaths associated with PMMA/Ecstasy have illustrated the tragic reality of street drug use: There is no safe street drug, there is no safe dose, and no one is immune to risk. From education and awareness, to support and treatment, AHS is here to help.
- http://www.sophia.org/tutorials/learning-strategies-a-test-taking-survival-guide - Please access this site if you feel your child would benefit from a test taking survival guide presentation